AIF Service Corps

has moved to new address

http://www.aifclintonfellowship.org/blog

We apologize for inconvenience...

The W.J. Clinton Fellowship for Service in India Blog: Bhuj

Monday, October 12, 2009

Bhuj

This past week marked my one-month anniversary here in Bhuj, Gujarat. As a Gujarati (albeit, American born), I myself had to search google maps to figure out where exactly Bhuj is. For those that do not know, Bhuj is a major city of the Kachchh district, located in northwest Gujarat, near to the Pakistan border. One of the most special and reknown things of the Kachchhi culture is its handicrafts (i.e. embroidery, block print, weaving, etc.). Fittingly, I have been placed with an organization, KHAMIR (www.khamir.org), whose focus is to revitalize, reposition and promote the unique crafts of this region. KHAMIR focuses on 7 specific crafts and works with local artisans on a variety of initiatives that at a high-level can be bundled under livelihood and cultural preservation.

In regards to my day-to-day work at KHAMIR, I am still in the process of developing a long-term project. Like any new job, there is a steep learning curve--I have spent my first month reading reports, listening to teammates, visiting different villages, attending workshops, and trying my best to absorb and understand the different facets of the organization, crafts, and various communities. I am hoping (and keeping my fingers crossed) that I can soon identify how and where I can contribute my skills during my short 9+ months here.

In regards to my day-to-day life here in Bhuj, I have been taken back by the smoothness through which things have fallen into place. I found a great apartment, a great roommate, and somehow managed to find a cylinder for gas connection (*it's likely off the blackmarket) all within a few short weeks. While I like to believe that my good luck charm (a 3-d bull-figure with an Argentine peso inside) has played a role bringing me such good fortune, the realistic part of me recognizes the common attribute contributing to my adjustment and integration to the 'Kachchhi life' is undoubtedly the warm and welcoming people here. From my colleagues, to the sweet aunties next door that feed me, to the rickshaw driver that drops me off most mornings and random shopkeepers that somehow understand my broken Gujarati, I am constantly humbled by the graciousness of the people.

Like any experience, there are highs and lows, frustrations and blessings to each day. As I write this, it is hard to believe that one month has already flown by. I look forward to the challenges, opportunities, and the guaranteed chaos that each morning, afternoon and evening promise to bring here and I hope that during these next 9 months I can contribute even a portion of what I can already see myself gaining from this experience.

 

Photo 1_KHAMIR campus

Panoramic view of the KHAMIR campus I work at each day.

Photo 2_crafts

Artisan crafts on display and sale at the KHAMIR outlet

Photo 3_garba

Posing after 3 hours of garba (dancing) during Navratri festival in village of Musca

Photo_4_Mandvi

With colleagues at Mandvi beach on our day off. 

Posted by Renita Shah

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Renita, I too am in search of a project.

October 12, 2009 at 3:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ren - Words cannot begin to express how proud I am of you and all that you do. I am beyond previleged to have such an intelligent, philanthropic and beautiful friend! Have fun and safe travels! Love, Trish

October 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pics, looks like a good spot to vacation if you want to get away and rough it. Keep the blogs coming. -bob (pgr)

October 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ren,

You constantly impress me with how courageous you are in your travels and life choices. I really admire you. Looking forward to reading more posts, when I get time from my crazy hollyweird life. =)
Peace+luv
Pmar

October 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home