AIF Service Corps

has moved to new address

http://www.aifclintonfellowship.org/blog

We apologize for inconvenience...

The W.J. Clinton Fellowship for Service in India Blog: You Look Like a Movie Star.....an Ugly Movie Star

Friday, November 6, 2009

You Look Like a Movie Star.....an Ugly Movie Star

Every day I take a 30 minute rickshaw to work - usually these rides are uneventful, marked by abrasive rickshaw drivers with poor hearing.  Today, however, was the exception.  I started chatting with my driver and got his whole life story.  How old he is, where he's from, how many kids he has, etc.  We made I deal that I would only
speak in Hindi to practice, and he would do the same with English. Over the course of the ride, we kind of bonded.  I found out he's got a post-grad degree in economics and was a former professor in UP.  He moved to Bombay and became a rickshaw driver because of money troubles.  His brother was part of the anti-terror taskforce that acted during the Bombay terror attacks last year.   He is also a supporter of the BJP.

Anyway, as we were chatting, I asked him who his favorite actor was. He said Akshay Kumar - he loves him because he's a good looking man.

I asked him what he thought of Abhishek Bachchan.  His replied, "I don't like Abhishek Bachchan.  He is not a good looking man.  Ugly man.  He has a black face.   You look just like Abhishek Bachchan."

The conversation continued after this, but needless to say, it did not have the same warmth as before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home